Basic Concepts and Terminologies of Biology
Biology is derived from two Greek words, that is, bios which means life and logos or logia which means study or knowledge.
So biology can be defined as a branch of science which deals with the study of life. The term biology can also be defined as a branch of science which deals with the study of living things or organisms.
A person specialized in the study of biology.
Life means being alive or existing. Something is alive or existing if it possesses life processes The life processes are growth, movement or locomotion, respiration, excretion, reproduction, sensitivity and nutrition.
Organism is anything which has life. It is the other name of a living thing. Organisms are made up of cells.
A cell is a basic unit of living things. The cell has three main parts, cell membrane, cytoplasm and nucleus. Cells which make up plants are called plant cells and those which make up animals are called animal cells.
Some organisms are made up of one cell. They are called unicellular or single-celled organisms
e.g. amoeba, euglena and yeast. Some organisms are made up of many cells, they are called multi cellular organisms e.g. animals, plants, and most fungi.Read more
The Meaning and Importance of First Aid at Home and at School
First Aid is an immediate help which is given to a sick or injured person before sending him/her to the hospital for further treatment.
FIRST AID KIT
Importance of First Aid
a. Saves life
b. Reduces fear of death
C. Brings hope and encouragement to the patient
d. Relieves the victim's pain
e. Prevents the illness or injury from becoming worse
f. Helps a person to recover from shock
g. It shows spirit of helping each other.
Components of the First Aid Kit and their Uses
First Aid kit is a small box which is used to keep instruments and chemicals for First Aid. The first Aid kit should be placed in a safe and accessible place.Read more...
The Cell is a basic unit of life.
- All living things are composed of cells which carry out the process that make the organism lives entity.
- All cells are basically the same in chemical composition. All life processes take place in the cells.
- Some organisms are made up of many cells and are called multicellular organisms e.g. man, pine tree, locust. Others have one cell e.g Amoeba, they are called unicellular organisms.
- All cells are microscopic, its membrane bound it has structures that are site for chemical reaction called organism.
- They have ability to replicate, since they contain the genetic materials. So these are characteristics of cel
Health - Is a state of physical, mental and social well being. Health can be affected by factors such as diet, Physical fitness, hygiene, stress, heredity, environment, medicine and immunity.
Immunity – Is the ability of the body to resist infections and disease. Immunity builds the body’s defense against infectious diseases. Through this, it helps us to remain healthy